CARNIVAL OF NICE & LEMON FESTIVAL in MENTON
It was on the seafront, along Promenade des Anglais, that the first Flowers Procession (Bataille de Fleurs) was held in 1876. Soon, the timid exchanges of bouquets of flowers between the rich winter visitors’ decorated carriages developed into a prestigious show, now an integral part of the Carnival. Four to five thousand stems are needed to cover these floats and the florists obtain 90% of their flowers from local producers. During the carnival several parades will feature about 500 ‘big heads’ dazzling in garlands of colours.
Suggested holiday itinerary
Enjoy Nice, capital of the French Riviera (see our suggestions bellow).
with the Carnival Flower Procession : Mimosa, Tokyo, gerbera, daisies, irises, roses... Flowers are thrown into the crowd while the floats are passing by.
Corso Carnavalesque with the famous "Big Heads"
Menton Lemon Festival
Drive on the from Nice and photo stops on your way, enjoying the panoramic views.
In Eze village , try a guided visit of the Fragonard
Walk in the Ezz's small narrow streets packed with galleries and provencal shops.
In Nice you will be able to have good times on your own :
- City tour in a double-decker bus or by small tourist train.
- Visit the numerous museums and historical buildings.
- Relax on a terrace or go to the beachor have a walk along the famous “Promenade des Anglais”.
- Discover glazed fruits in a Candy Factory "Florian Factory"
- Discover «Vieux-Nice», the old part of the city; its narrow streets and its Flower Market.
- wine-tasting tour : Visit of the Château de Crémat set on the hillside
behind Nice. The owners will show the Château and how the various
wines are produced followed by wine-tasting accompanied with small canapés
spread with regional specialities: anchoiade, olive oil & tapenade
Suggested ways of Transport : Low cost flight
- Easy Jet (Paris- Amsterdam-London-Liverpool -Geneva): www.easyjet.com
- Aeris (Paris): www.aeris.fr
- Germanwings (Köln): www28.germanwings.com
- Hapag Llyod Express (Hanover) : www.hlx.com
- Berlinjet (Berlin) : www.berlinjet.com
- Deutsche BA (Berlin-Hamburg-Stuttgart) : www.flydba.com
- Jet 2 (Leeds-Bradford) : www.jet2.com
- Basiq Air (Amsterdam): www.basiqair.com
- Virgin Express (Brussels) : www.virgin-express.com
- BMI Baby (Nottingham) : www.flybmi.com
- Sterling (Bilund - Copenhagen-Oslo-Stockholm) : www.sterlingticket.com
- Jetmagic (Cork) : www.jetmagic.com
- Snowflake (Stockholm) : www.flysnowflake.com